Forbes.com released an article on Cloud Computing and Enterprise Software Forecast Update, 2012 with tidbits of information about current and projected market growth by different verticals as it relates to IT spending.
The takeaways include:
- Projected 81 percent increase in the global server market from 2011-2016 ($5.2-9.4B), fueled by public and private cloud computing, according to IDC’s Worldwide Enterprise Server Cloud Computing 2011–2015 Forecast.
- Projected 36 percent CAGR (compound annual growth rate) in Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS), cloud management & security devices, and Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) markets from 2011-2016 ($7.6-35.5B), according to Gartner’s Forecast Analysis: Enterprise Infrastructure Software, Worldwide, 2011-2016, 3Q12 Update.
- Projected 19 percent CAGR in the Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) and cloud-based business application services from 2011-2016 ($13.4-32.2B), according to Gartner.
Another very interesting tidbit includes the breakdown of each vertical industry market and growth opportunities from 2011-2016. According to Gartner, anticipated growth opportunities put these industries at the top when it comes to global IT spending:
- $84,074M – Banking & Securities
- $70,683M – Communications, Media & Services
- $63,589M – Manufacturing & Natural Resources
- $34,611M – Insurance
- $24,907M – Transportation
Surprisingly, Healthcare Providers was not in the top for growth opportunities, coming in at $15,311M. Even Utilities beat them out by a projected $18,756M.
Read up on cloud computing with these related articles:
- How the Cloud is Changing the Data Center’s Bad Reputation for Energy Inefficiency
- Advancing Michigan Business with Cloud Computing
- Outsourcing Cloud Computing Security
- Healthcare Organizations: Seeking a Cloud Provider? BAAs Required
Read about 2012 Data Center Expansion Plans, prompted by cloud computing.
This article on Rethinking the Outsourced Cloud, Part II: 2011 Benefits of Cloud Adoption reports on the benefits of outsourcing the cloud for small and medium-sized businesses.
- Private Cloud Security: How Your Data Security Changes in the Cloud (Video with Jason Yaeger, Director of Operations at Online Tech)
- Cloud Computing Impact on Disaster Recovery
- Cloud Computing and Software-as-a-Service (SaaS)